Saturday, 6 June 2026

The Backrooms movie ramblings

Happy Saturday!! I've decided that my upload schedule will be every weekend, most likely on a Sunday, sometimes on a Saturday if I have something to say. Like now. 

 ✮ ⋆ ˚。𖦹 ⋆。°✩๋࣭ ⭑

I watched the backrooms movie!! I absolutely loved it, anyone who didn't like it is stupid tbh no offence if you didn't like it (but full offence, really). Shout out to Kane Parsons, he's the same age as me and he's already done so much!! What a skilled guy. I didn't know he also made the Attack On Titan found footage on youtube!! I was OBSESSED with that when it came out. Anyway, onto the film. I loved Clarke's character, his actor was amazing. Clarke kinda reminded me of Jimmy from Mouthwashing (which is an incredible game, by the way) but less extreme. He was deluded and selfish, but unlike Jimmy, you can't help but feel sorry for him. His selfishness really stood out when Bobby is LITERALLY about to die, and he deadass does nothing, he just continues filming, because his curiosity about the backrooms overrides his desire to help. My interpretation was that he was morbidly curious about what would happen to Bobby, he wanted to see what would happen if he let Bobby get taken..... I also LOVED the scene at the table where Clarke admits that he wants to stay in the backrooms, he'd found comfort in the distorted memories of the past. Insane, actually. For me, the real horror of the backrooms (pre-movie, when the backrooms was just a picture) was that you're stuck in this neverending maze all alone. You'd either starve or go insane, the TRUE horror was your own mind. So at first, I was apprehensive of the presence of a creature killing people, although so many fans have used it for their interpretations of the backrooms over the years. But the fact that the creature ended up being an elongated, distorted version of Clarke was genius to me, it appealed to the fans who WANTED some kind of creature there, it created tension, but also kept the original idea of the backrooms by making the creature a fucked up version of the MAIN CHARACTER!! HELLO?? Incredible, no notes. I also saw an interpretation on tiktok that said the whole movie was a metaphor for generative ai, which made my jaw drop because it was so spot on. I saw it on tiktok and I can't remember who posted the video, but they basically said that Clarke is an artist. A failed architect, to be exact, and the only way he can express that now is through the furniture layout in his store. And when he finds the backrooms, he's greeted by piles of furniture, some clipping through the floor and the walls. It was a soulless recreation of a memory that gradually becomes more warped as it's misremebered, and Clarke slowly succumbs to it, losing his mind.....like how people now are turning to ai to create "art" for them because they "can't". It was SUCH a good interpretation of the story, I loved it. I also liked how in the movie, the explanation for why the backrooms exist is because it's a memory of a memory of a memory and so on, I thought it was really unique, especially because leaving it unexplained would leave so many questions, like who built it? But this explanation was more abstract, which fit the theme of the film so well. I gave it a 4/5 on letterboxd, the only reason I didn't give it a 5/5 was because I felt it dragged on at certain points. But OMG, what a debut from Kane Parsons I genuinely cannot wait to see what he does next!!

✮ ⋆ ˚。𖦹 ⋆。°✩๋࣭ ⭑

See you whenever,

 Cyberin

No comments:

Post a Comment

featured⋆。𖦹˚.★

My Letterboxd Top 4

  In last week's post, I briefly spoke about my cinema card and my fav film. So, for this week's post, I thought why not delve into ...